Random home videos

I don't know what this will become yet. But, Google insisted on me giving them a URL when I uploaded a video to them, so I figured I'd better set something up. Let's see what happens!

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Het Schip in Amsterdam

I was in Amsterdam for most of last week for a work conference. I stayed an extra night so I could spend a few hours exploring before flying back on Saturday evening.

Mostly I just wandered around, taking photos of the lovely old houses and canal scenes, doing my best to avoid the crowded tackier tourist parts. However one thing that I really liked and went out of my way to see was the Het Schip building and museum. I discovered it by accident as I walked past it from the hotel to the conference centre.

Het Schip was designed by Michel de Klerk, who I learned was a leading architect in the "Amsterdam School" (seemingly a bit like a dutch version of Frank Lloyd Wright). Even though it's not my taste in terms of the kind of building I'd like to make, I admire it because it's very interesting and makes a change from the usual boring brick blocks of flats... :-)

Here's a video compilation that starts with some photos, followed by extracts from the tour that I went on which looked at the inside of the post office museum, 2 of Michel de Klerk's earlier buildings, then a walk down one side of Het Schip and a short glimpse inside an apartment.



Because it's kind of off the beaten path, here's a map showing the location too.


View Larger Map

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home